Sunday, January 31, 2010

Where is the "beaten path" for entrepreneurs?


Alright. Here's the deal. I've done well for myself until now, having followed the beaten path to the Mecca of a young professional's choice for graduate education (Harvard Business School). After graduating from Carnegie Mellon University with honors, I worked at Deloitte Consulting in New York City for 3 years. The experience was fantastic, but looking back, it was a bit less climatic than I had expected. There's just something about working 60-100 hr weeks on a project who's success has no direct impact on you or your career and you don't want to become a partner (we learned about this at HBS, it's called a bad incentive system). Life becomes too bland and you just stop caring... So I came to Harvard Business School to change careers and become what is called a serial entrepreneur - which by definition is a fantastic choice since it means you've started more than 1 or 2 companies and probably had to be successful along the way to keep from having to get another job.

The problem was (or is) that after 1.5 years of studying here and trying to launch a scholarship search business, I realized I am a little late to the game. It just seems that the skill sets that I learned in consulting don't give me a leg up in doing anything in this field (except being CEO of a new company). At the end of the day, experience is what matters in this business...

Therefore, I'm starting this blog with the intent of documenting everything that I learn along this journey - starting with my first learning: you need to blog. You also need to tweet, facebook, linkin, etc. Bascially, get yourself out there (professionally)! And please, untag any drunk photos.